60,2 % STRAIGHT FROM THE CASK Selected by Signatory Vintage Distilled on: 7 Aug 1991 Bottled on: 28 Nov 2002 Cask No. 265 Matured in a Sherry Butt Bottled by Hand, in Scotland 902 bottles Signatory Vintage, Edinburgh
10 years old
56,5 % STRAIGHT FROM THE CASK PORT FINISH Finished in a Port Cask Distilled on: 8th Dec 1993 Bottled 22 nd Jan 2004 Cask No. 03/423/3 415 Bottles Bottled by Hand, in Scotland 500 ml Bottles Scotland's Smallest Distillery Edradour Distillery Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
10 years old
57,3 % STRAIGHT FROM THE CASK BURGUNDY FINISH Finished in a Burgundy Cask Distilled on: 8 th Dec 1993 Bottled 13 th Jan 2004 Cask No. 03/422/2 424 Bottles Bottled by Hand, in Scotland 500 ml Bottles Scotland's Smallest Distillery Edradour Distillery Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
30 years old
43 %INFO SINGLE HIGHLAND MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Handmade in Scotland's Smallest Distillery Limited Edition 570 Bottles Edradour Distillery Company Ltd, Pitlochry
30 years old
INFO VINTAGE 1973 SINGLE HIGHLAND MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Handmade in Scotland's Smallest Distillery Limited Edition Distilled: 8 th March 1973 Matured in a Sherry Cask Butt No. 97 Bottled 10 th June 2003 Genummerde flessen 539 bottles Edradour Distillery Company Ltd, Pitlochry
10 years old
55,8 % STRAIGHT FROM THE CASK CHARDONNAY FINISH Distilled 15 th Dec 1993 Bottled on: 22nd June 2004 Bottled by Hand, in Scotland Cask No. 04/12/3 Finished in Chardonnay Cask 441, 500 ml Bottles Scotland's Smallest Distillery Edradour Distillery Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
10 years old
57,2 % STRAIGHT FROM THE CASK SAUTERNES FINISH Distilled 15 th Dec 1993 Bottled on: 22 nd June 2004 Bottled by Hand, in Scotland Cask No. 04/11/3 Finished in a Sauternes Cask 444, 500 ml Bottles Scotland's Smallest Distillery Edradour Distillery Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
10 years old
46 % SIGNATORY VINTAGE THE UN-CHILLFILTERED COLLECTION Scotland Smallest Distillery Distilled on: 27th July 1994 Bottled on: 8th April 2005 Cask No. 331 779 NumberedTBottles Natural Colour Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh
over 3 years old
INFO TOKAJI MATURED Matured solely in very old Tokaji casks Handmade in Scotland's Smallest Distillery BATCH No. 1 Distilled October: 2002 Bottled August 2006 Unchillfiltered Natural Colour Edradour Distillery Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
Aged 10 years
INFO Oude botteling van vóór de Overname door Symington in 2002 Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky The Smallest Distillery in Scotland Glenforres - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd Edradour Distillery, Pitlochry
Aged 10 years
43 % Oude botteling van vóór de Overname door Symington in 2002 Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky The Smallest Distillery in Scotland Glenforres - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd Edradour Distillery, Pitlochry
2 0 0 3 8 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Highland Single Malt Distilled: 19/03/03 Matured in a Bourbon Barrel Cask no: 135 Bottled: 22/03/11 291 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky
Highland Malt The Midlands THE EDRADOUR (1825 also see Ballechin
Pitlochry, Perthshire. Licentiehouder: Glenforres - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd. Edradour Distillery. Eigendom van William Whiteley & Co, Ltd. Onderdeel van Pernod - Ricard S.A. In 1825 werd The Edradour gesticht door de plaatselijke boeren John MacGlashan, Peter Scott, Alexander Forbes, Alexander Stewart, Duncan Stewart, William Mclntosh, James Robertson en James Scott. De firmanaam was John MacGlashan & Company. De gebouwen van de huidige distilleederij stammen uit 1837. The Edradour staat op land dat het eigendom is van de Duke of Atholl. Het is één van de kleinste distilleerderijen van Schotland, met de kleinste ketels en men produceert 4500 liter single malt whisky per week met drie produktie medewerkers. The Edradour beleefde een bloeiperiode tijdens de Amerikaanse drooglegging, toen men veel whisky verscheepte naar dat land. De whisky werd onder andere verscheept met Duitse onderzeeboten uit de eerste wereldoorlog met in de torpedo's de whisky van The Edradour. Niemand minder dan Frank Costello was één van de 'bootleggers' die in Long Island de met whisky gevulde torpedo's aan land bracht. The Edradour was ook wel bekend onder de naam Glenforres, nu de naam voor een vatted malt waar The Edradour ook deel van uitmaakt. Men gebruikt plaatselijke gerst en de whisky wordt gelagerd in oloroso sherryvaten. In 1933 werd The Edradour overgenomen door William Whiteley & Co, Ltd, whiskyblender te Leith. Hij gebruikte de whisky als 'topdressing' voor zijn blend King's Ransom. William Whiteley, bijgenaamd de 'Doyen of Distillers' stuurde, op zoek naar perfectie, eens vijtig sherryvaten gevuld met zijn blend King's Ransom mee met een schip voor een tocht om de wereld, omdat hij dacht dat de voortdurende deining en de zeelucht voor een perfecte 'marrying' van zijn whisky zou zorg dragen. Een andere bekende blend van hem was House of Lords. William Whiteley & Co, Ltd, werd in 1938 overgenomen door een Amerikaan Irving Haim, men zei dat Frank Costello hier achter stond. In 1978 kocht een andere Amerikaanse financier het bedrijf en dreef de firma onder de naam J.G. Turney & Co. In 1947 werd de watermolen, die tot dan voor de energie van The Edradour zorgd droeg, gesloopt omdat de distilleerderij toen werd aangesloten op het electricteits net. Sinds 1965 mout men niet meer zelf.
In 1982 wordt William & Co, Ltd overgenomen door House of Campbell, sinds 1945 eigenaars van Aberlour. In 1974 wordt Pernod Ricard de eigenaar van beide distilleerderijen. In de distilleerderij wordt nog steeds, als enige in Schotland, een Morton refrigerator gebruikt om de wort af te koelen. Er staan twee ketels, met stoom verhit en met een produktie van ongeveer 100.000 liter spirit per jaar. Het gebruikte water komt van Moulin Moor. Er staat één Mash tun van 1 ton, één Wash still van 4218 liter en een Spirit still van 2182 liter. In Juli 2002 koopt Andrew W. Symington, van Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, te Edinburgh Edradour voor £ 5,4 miljoen, waarvan £ 3 miljoen voor de voorraad whisky. De produktie in één week acht vaten, dat is 2000 liter, 240.000 flessen per jaar. In het produktieproces werken drie man. Daisy was de distilleerderij poes, tot in 2002 toen ze tijdens de grote overstroming verdronk. Werd Edradour tot nu gelagerd in sherry vaten, zal Symington ook ex-Bourbon-, port en andere vaten gaan gebruiken. In December 2002 werden ook 45 Hogsheads turfgerookte whisky geproduceerd. Januari 2003 wordt bekend dat Iain Henderson, gepensioneerd manager van Laphroaig, Andrew Symington gaat helpen bij Edradour. September 2007: Te Moulin, even buiten Pilochry gelegen wordt een nieuw gebouwencomplex opgeleverd met lager- en bottelcapaciteit. De huidige locatie van Signatory te Edinburgh worden herontwikkeld met een woonbestemming. De tweede zwaargeturfrookte Ballechin wordt uitgebracht, gelagerd op Madeiravaten.
Mei 2003 komt voor de eerste maal een zwaarder turfgestookte whisky uit de ketels van Edradour. (50 ppm). Idee hierachter is dat vroeger in de Highlands zwaarder turfgerookte whiskies werden geproduceerd. De nieuwe whisky zal onder de naam Ballechin op de markt worden gebracht. Ballechin werd gebouwd in 1810, door een groep boeren, en werd gesloten in 1927. De laatste whisky verliet de lagerpakhuizen in 1933. Delen van het gebouwencomplex maken nu deel uit van een boerderij.
The Distillery Edition Handmade in Scotland's Smallest Distillery Nestled in a pocket Glen, in the hills above Pitlochry in the Southern Highlands, lies Edradour, The Smallest Distillery in Scotland. The neat cluster of buildings, virtually unchanged in the last 150 years houses equipment only just capable of producing commercial quantities. Indeed, only 12 casks a week are produced, making Edradour Single Malt Whisky a rare Plesure for a fortunate few. Edradour is Scotland's smallest distillery and its most picturesque. Nestling in the hills east of Pitlochry, Edradour stands alone as Scotland's last distillery to produce a handcrafted malt in limited quantity, unique quality and by methods, which to other distillers are just a fond memory. Our soft spring water, originating from deep on Moulin Moor bubbles through peat and sandstone before surfacing a few hundred paces away. Here in the garden of Scotland we still select and use local barley, which is malted and dried over peat fires and milled to our specifications. Each and every sack received is inspected for bold golden grains, full of protein, and with a lightly peated aroma. The milled, malted barley and water are soaked together in the Mash Tun, a mere ton at a time. The resulting 'wort' already taking on a bronzed straw colour cools gently in our Morton refrigerator - the only one left in Scotland - before flowing to the Washback. Fermentation, in two original Pine Washbacks takes a leisurely forty-eight hours; Brewer's yeast is measured by hand and we patiently wait as the wort ferments not unlike beer into Wash, reaching a strenght of about 8 % by volume. And so we move to the Stillman's role, responsible for so much of the final flavour of The Edradour: Our copper stills are the smallest allowed under Excise regulations - any smaller the theory goes and they'd be hidden away in a hillside. There is an old distillers yardstick that says the smaller the still - the finer the taste - most certainly a trueism in this case. The Wash is then distilled at about 82o C and the resulting low wines, now about 20 % by volume are then redistilled. As we collect here only the middle third - the stillman's skill and keen eye are essential to capture the heart off the run - a totally clear and sparkling crystal spirit now 70 % by volume our raw Edradour spirit. Each of our 5 weekly mashes in our tiny stone built distillery produces 0 litres of wort and finally yields about 430 litres of spirit - enough in a good week to fill 12 casks. A drop in the ocean perhaps to some distillers but we have always believed that The Edradour has a quality that cannot be matched. The Edradour then rests in warehouses in the damp cool Scottish air until we bottle it some-time after its tenth anniversary. The result is a magnificent malt produced in the tradition of yesteryear.
Capacity: 96.600 litres = about 12 casks a week Mash tun: cast iron, with rake and plough Grist per mash: 1.1 tonnes Worts volume: 5000 litres Washbacks: Two, Oregon pine, 5000 litres each Fermentation time: Two days Wash still: One, capacity 4.218 litres Spirit still; One, short with reflux neck capacity : 2.179 ltres Casks used: Sherry, and first fill butt also some second fill, first fill bourbon casks
I wrote Caledonia, in 1977 on a beach in Brittany, France, when I was genuinely homesick for Scotland. My life has always been based in Pertshire. For me, the location of Edradour, with its neat cluster of whitewashed buildings, traditional equipment and of ancient methods of making single malt whisky combined with its state of the art bottling facility typify Caledonia.
So it is great to be joining forces with Andrew Symington and Edradour Distillery, to bring you this wonderfully rich and complex 12 year old single malt.
"Let me tell you that I love you and think about you all the time Caledonia you'r calling me and now I'am going home But if I should become a stranger you know that it would make me more than sad Caledonia's been everything I' ve ever had"
(The Chorus from Caledonia - Music & Lyrics by Dougie MacLean, and published with per- mission from the Publishers - Lime Arts and Music)
Water: Moulin Moor Mash tun: 1 x 1 tonnes Washbacks: 2 x 1000 litres 1 wash still x 4218 litres 1 spirit still x 2182 litres Output: 100.000 litres
The low-slung farm buildings contain traditional equipment – mashing is in a one tonne, open-topped, rake and plough mash tun, the wort is cooled in a replica of an old ‘Morton’s refrigerator’, the washbacks are wooden, the tiny stills lead into worm tubs.
The make is robust but fruity and since the Signatory takeover, ex-Sherry casks have been the preferred destination for the new make. A wide number of fortified wine and still wine casks have also been used for ‘finishing’. Ballechin, on the other hand, which is also produced at the distillery, is deemed to show itself better in ex-Bourbon casks.
Another of central Perthshire’s multiplicity of farm distilleries, Edradour started production at its current site in 1837, although one of the farmers who formed that original consortium, Duncan Forbes, had been legally distilling close by since 1825. The plentiful supplies of water, tight, hidden glens, and access to back roads into Perth, made this a prime area for moonshining, so it is entirely possible (even probable) that Forbes knew the intricacies of whisky-making before going legit.
It remained associated with the original grouping until 1933, when the Mackintosh family sold it as a (barely) going concern to the famous blending house of William Whiteley. Quite why Whiteley bought such a small distillery – it was Scotland’s tiniest for many years – has never been fully explained. The firm had built up a solid business in the US during Prohibition with its King’s Ransom blend, thanks to Whiteley’s appointment of none other than Mafia boss Frank Costello as his US sales representative. Five years later, Costello’s associate Irving Haim took over as Edradour’s owner, with Costello (and his firm) taking a share of sales of King’s Ransom. This slightly unusual arrangement lasted until Haim’s death in 1976.
In 1982 the distillery, once again in a bad state, was sold to Pernod Ricard subsidiary Campbell Distillers who immediately opened it to visitors. It continued to play a low-key role in blends until 1986, when it first appeared as a single malt.
In 2002, Pernod Ricard deemed it surplus to its requirements and it was sold to independent bottler Signatory Vintage. It was a perfect fit. Since then, Signatory has built extensive warehousing for its own casks, a bottling line, a tasting room and expanded production to include heavily peated variant Ballechin. One of the prettiest distilleries in Scotland, Edradour remains a major tourist attraction.
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Company logo
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Company
2002 - present
Edradour Distillery Company
1982 - 2002
William Whiteley & Co
1933 - 1982
John McIntosh & Co
1886 - 1933
James Reid & Co
1860 - 1885
John MacGlashan & Co
1841 - 1860
John MacGlashan and local farmers
1837 - 1841
BLENDED MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
Right up until the 1980s, demand for William Whiteley & Co’s blends was so great that every drop of malt whisky produced by its small Edradour distillery was earmarked for blending. The only clue consumers had to the Pitlochry distillery’s flavour profile was in a bottle of Glenforres, a vatted malt containing Edradour and one other Highland malt.
Glenforres was released in a variety of ages towards the end of the last century, most notably as a 12-year-old bottled at 43% abv, and more recently as an 8-year-old.
With Edradour at its core, Glenforres was light, fragrant, smooth and mellow with a typically refreshing southern Highland profile.
The firm of William Whiteley & Co. was founded in 1922 as a Leith-based blending business, which went on to (illegally) establish a large presence in the US with its King’s Ransom blend during Prohibition. Following Repeal, the company purchased Edradour distillery in Pitlochry in 1933, a small farm concern that started life in 1825 under the name Glenforres. It was Edradour’s original name that inspired Whiteley & Co to produce a vatted malt, registered to its Glenforres-Glenlivet Distillery Co. subsidiary.
In 1982 the distillery and its associated blends were sold to S Campbell & Son, a subsidiary of French drinks group Pernod Ricard, which soon ceased production of all Whiteley’s brands, bar King’s Ransom.
Stripped of its obligations to fill Whiteley’s blends, Edradour was finally released as a single malt in 1986. Two decades later the distillery was sold on to independent bottler Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky in 2002, although the dormant Glenforres brand remains with Pernod Ricard’s Chivas Brothers subsidiary.
WILLIAM WHITELEY & CO
William Whiteley was born in Yorkshire in 1861, the son of a stonemason turned wine and spirits merchant. In the early years of the 20th century, Whiteley was employed as an agent by James Munro & Sons Ltd, concentrating on export sales. Munro sacked him for entering into unauthorised relationships with traders of dubious character in Africa during 1908, after which he set up his own business of William Whiteley & Company. This business traded from an address in London’s Victoria and then from three rapidly changing Scottish addresses, explained by the fact that he filed for bankruptcy in 1912.
Undeterred, he purchased the wine and spirits merchants JG Turney & Son Ltd in 1914 and proceeded to use this as a holding company for all his future business ventures, though in 1922 he again began to use his own name with W Whiteley & Company Ltd.
The period of US Prohibition (1920-33) gave Whiteley a new opportunity, and he developed a lucrative relationship with mafia boss Frank Costello, smuggling his own blends of Scotch whisky into the States via the island of St Pierre, off the coast of Newfoundland.
In 1928 Whiteley formulated what was to become his best-known blend, King’s Ransom, presented in a distinctive square bottle, and soon renowned as the most expensive Scotch in the world. Five years later Whiteley purchased Edradour distillery in Perthshire for £1,050. This gave him a source of malt whisky for blending purposes and reciprocal trading, and Edradour became a staple ingredient of King’s Ransom.
Most of Whiteley’s business was with North America, and along with King’s Ransom, his other highest profile blended Scotch was House of Lords, which was only available in export markets until 1996 due to protests at its naming by the upper house of the British parliament.
In 1938 William Whiteley made the decision to retire and closed down the business of JG Turney & Son Ltd, though the name Turney’s Distillery Ltd was adopted by the American Irving Haim, who also acquired the shares of W Whiteley & Co Ltd and other associated companies. William Whiteley died in 1941, leaving a sum in excess of £1 million in today’s terms.
Irving Haim was an associate of Frank Costello, now the most influential Mafia boss in the US, and rumours abounded that it was Mafia money that had bought Haim’s Scotch whisky interests. W Whiteley & Co Ltd remained in the Haim family until 1978.
In 1982 the Pernod Ricard subsidiary S Campbell & Son Ltd acquired all the subsidiary companies of JG Turney & Son Ltd, principally William Whiteley & Co Ltd and Whiteley’s Glenforres-Glenlivet Distillery Co, which he had established back in 1922 to give the illusion that he owned a distillery, and one worthy of attaching the Glenlivet name to it. Needless to say, there never has been a Glenforres distillery.
Today only the now ultra-respectable Edradour distillery and the lavishly-packaged bottles of King’s Ransom 12-year-old and House of Lords 8- and 12-year-old from the 1970s and ’80s that appear at auction from time to time serve as a reminder of William Whiteley and his dubious days in the Scotch whisky business.
SIGNATORY VINTAGE SCOTCH WHISKY COMPANY
Signatory is an independent bottler with a vigorous release policy, and usually some 50 different single malt expressions are available at any one time. Whiskies are bottled across a number of ranges, including the Un-chill Filtered Collection, the Cask Strength Collection and the Single Grain Collection.
Signatory bottling, bonding and office facilities are located in a building adjacent to Edradour distillery, near Pitlochry in Perthshire, which the company also owns.
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky was established in 1988 by Andrew Symington, who had previously managed the prestigious Prestonfield House Hotel in Edinburgh. The first cask bottled by Symington was a 1968 Sherry-cask-matured Glenlivet.
Signatory was initially based in the Newhaven area of Edinburgh, where a bottling plant was developed, but in 2002 the firm acquired Edradour distillery from Pernod Ricard, and subsequently moved all of its operations north to the picturesque Perthshire location.
A new bottling plant and a warehousing complex were constructed, strictly in keeping with the vernacular architectural style which prevails at the much-visited and diminutive former farm distillery.
BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY
In his colourful career, the small-time whisky baron William Whiteley launched nearly 50 Scotch brands, owned Edradour and had the infamous Mafia boss, Frank Costello, as his US ‘sales consultant’ during Prohibition.
King’s Ransom was Whiteley’s pride and joy, aimed at the luxury American market with its squat, square-shaped bottle and colourful label that included the words ‘Round the World’. Adverts from the 1960s explained how the whisky was carried as ballast in Ocean-going liners and that the rocking motion at sea helped marry its component parts.
Yorkshire-born William Whiteley was 67 when he created his flagship blend, King’s Ransom, in 1928. With Frank Costello as his US agent it was doubtless being sipped in the speakeasy bars of Prohibition America.
The core of the blend was said to be Edradour, the tiny Perthshire distillery that Whiteley acquired for £1,050 in 1933.When he died in 1941, Costello’s associate Irving Haim took over the distillery while Costello and his firm took a share of sales of King’s Ransom. This unusual arrangement continued until Haim’s death in 1976.
Six years later Pernod Ricard’s then Scotch whisky arm, Campbell Distillers, bought Edradour and the three remaining William Whiteley brands. Among them was the King’s Ransom, which was discontinued in the 1980s.
Chivas Brothers Holdings logo
Chivas Brothers Holdings
William Whiteley & Co
1928 - 1982
A Glasgow-based whisky blending and bottling company that purchased the Aberlour distillery after the Second World War. Following its acquisition by Pernod Ricard it added the Glenallachie distillery to its stable and found a major market for its Clan Campbell brand of blended whisky in France and Spain.
Campbell Distillers has one of the most complicated legacies of identity crisis of any Scottish whisky company, boasting several name changes in just 50 years.
In 1933 wine shipper Samuel Rosenbloom formed a whisky merchant, Forbes McGregor & Co. The company was based in Campbell House, Glasgow and when the Rosenbloom family changed their name to Ross, Samuel decided to use the name Campbell instead.
Around 1934 he acquired Glasgow blender Muir Mackenzie & Co. Ltd. and in 1937 changed the company name to S. Campbell & Son Ltd. In 1945 S. Campbell & Son purchased its first distillery, Aberlour, as well as the Glasgow Bonding Co., to give it access to a bottling operation.
In 1950 Samuel’s son Arnold Campbell and brother, Jack Ross, incorporated the Aberlour-Glenlivet Distillery Co. with most of the shares being held by the Commercial Bank of Scotland.
Through a subsidiary company, Campbells (Distillery) Ltd., S. Campbell blended and bottled Clan Campbell blended Scotch whisky. This whisky is still very popular on the continent of Europe. Another popular blend was White Heather, named after Campbells (Distillery) Ltd.’s original company name.
In 1974 S. Campbell & Son was purchased by the French giant Pernod Ricard, which in turn set up a holding company, House of Campbell. When Pernod Ricard merged House of Campbell with wine shipper J. R. Parkington in 1988, the new company was finally named Campbell Distillers.
In 1989 Pernod Ricard added the Glenallachie distillery to the company’s holdings after purchasing it from Invergordon Distillers.
Campbell Distillers’ portfolio merged with Chivas Brothers’ when it was acquired by Pernod Ricard in 2001.
Chivas Brothers Holdings
BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY
In the 1960s the White Heather blend was sometimes offered in a tartan gift box featuring a map of Scotland on which was drawn a big heart over Speyside. If the heather honey flavours of Speyside malts permeated the blend it was thanks to Aberlour, which White Heather’s owner, S. Campbell & Son, acquired in 1945.
Besides the standard non-age-statement bottle, White Heather was sold as a 5-year-old, 8-year-old and ‘deluxe’ 15-year-old until the brand was abandoned in the 1980s.
White Heather has its roots in the 1930s, when Samuel Rosenbloom established the whisky merchant firm of Forbes McGregor & Co. In 1934 Rosenbloom (who had changed his own surname to Campbell), acquired Glasgow blender Muir Mackenzie & Co and changed the company’s name to reflect his own – S. Campbell & Son Ltd.
In 1945 S. Campbell & Son acquired Aberlour distillery from W.H. Holt & Sons, providing the company with a steady source of malt whisky for its burgeoning blends.
By the early 1950s a subsidiary called White Heather Distillers Ltd had been established to blend and bottle the White Heather blend. The subsidiary later became Campbell (Distillery) Ltd., which also blended and bottled the Clan Campbell blend.
In 1974 the whole enterprise was taken over by Pernod Ricard, and a decade later the French firm ceased bottling White Heather to focus on Clan Campbell, which went on to become a hugely popular whisky in France.
S. Campbell & Son was eventually renamed Campbell Distillers under Pernod Ricard.