40 % CONNOISSEURS CHOICE Distilled 1981 Bottled 1997 Proprietors: John Hopkins & Co, Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
11 years old
62,6 % CADENHEAD'S AUTHENTIC COLLECTION Cask Strenght Distilled December 1982 Bottled February 1994 No Additives Not Chill Filtered No Colouring Wm. Cadenhead, 32 Unionstreet, Campbeltown
14 years old
58.7 % CADENHEAD'S AUTHENTIC COLLECTION Cask Strenght Distilled December 1982 Bottled January 1997 No Additives Not Chill Filtered No Colouring Wm. Cadenhead, Campbeltown
23 years old
INFO RARE MALTS SELECTION Natural Cask Strenght Distilled 1970 Limited Bottling J. & G. Stewart, Edinburgh
19 years old
INFO RARE MALTS SELECTION Natural Cask Strenght Distilled 1979 Bottled October 1998 Limited Edition Genummerde flessen J. & G. Stewart, Edinburgh
11 years old
62.8% Date Distilled Mar 80 Date Bottled May 92 Society Cask No. code 49.4 The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
15 years old
40 % CENTENARY RESERVE Gordon & Macphail 100 Years of Quality and Exellence 1895 - 1995 Distilled 1980 Bottled 1995 Proprietors: John Hopkins & Co, Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
19 years old
40 % RARE OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY A special single malt scotch whisky Lowland Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled 1982 Bottled 2001 Proprietors: John Hopkins & Co, Ltd. Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
16 years old
64.8 %INFO SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY Date Distilled Oct 82 Date Bottled Sept 99 Society Cask No. code 49.10 626 bottles The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh 'Fairies dancing on the tonque'
24 years old
50% THE OLD MALT CASK 50o Lowlands A Single Cask Bottling Distilled June 1978 Bottled December 2002 504 Bottles No Chill Filtration No Colouring Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd, Glasgow
30 years old
43 % RARE OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky A Special Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled: 1975 Bottled: 2005 Proprietors: John Hopkins & Co, Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
32 years old
43 % RARE OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky A Special Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled; 1975 Bottled 2007 Proprietors; John Hopkins & Co, Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
INFO 31 years old
46 % GORDON & MACPHAIL RARE OLD A SPECIAL SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY FROM ST. MAGDALENE DISTILLERY Distilled 1982 Bottled 2013 LOT NO: RO /13 / 01 This exclusive Lot is Limited to 308 Bottles Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected,
Matured and Bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
INFO 33 years
46 % RARE OLD A Special Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled 1982 LOT No. RO / 15 / 05 Bottled 2015 Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected, Matured & Bootled By Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
Lowlands ST. MAGDALENE (1798 - 1983) ALSO SEE LINLITHGOW
Linlithgow, West Lothian. Licentiehouder: John Hopkins & Co, Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.) De malt divisie van The Distillers Company Ltd, later United Distillers Ltd.
In 1983 gesloten en ontmanteld.
De naam komt van een stuk land dat bekend staat als St. Magdalene's Cross.
Er stond heel vroeger een ziekenhuis voor de verpleging van melaatsen dat was gesticht door The Knights Templar of St. John of Torphichen, later stond hier een klooster St. Magdalene's Convent, ook Lazar House genoemd.
De eerste distilleerderij die te Linlithgow werd gebouwd was Bulzion, die rond 1755 in produktie ging. Mains of Maines was een andere distilleerderij die hier stond (1795 - 1855).
In 1790 bouwde Adam Dawson zijn Bonnytoun distilleerderij, hij was toen al in het bezit van een distilleerderij vlakbij Falkirk. Er was ook nog een distilleerderij, Loch genaamd, naar het nabijgelegen Linlithgow Loch, deze distilleerderij moet zijn gebouwd in 1825. Ongeveer 1796 huurde Sebastian Henderson een stuk land naast Bonnytoun van de Countess of Dalhousie en begon ook een distilleerderij. Op zeker moment stonden er in Linlithgow niet minder dan vijf distilleerderijen met een licentie.
Adam Dawson kocht Sebastion Henderson uit in 1800, en omdat St. Magdalene de betere van de twee distilleerderijen was, ging Dawson met de laatste verder. St. Magdalene floreerde, expandeerde en absorbeerde Bonnytoun. Op 6 November 1894 werd de N.V. A. & J. Dawson Ltd opgericht.
De whiskymarkt was nu bijna op zijn hoogtepunt, er werden nieuwe distilleerderijen geopend, bestaande vergroot tot op 8 Juni 1899 de zeepbel klapte, ingeluid door het frauduleuze bankroet van de Pattisons. Op 17 April 1912 moest A. & J. Dawson zijn faillisement aanvragen.
Een nieuwe N.V. werd opgericht op 16 November 1912 met de oude naam A. & J. Dawson Ltd.
En zoals toen gebruikelijk werd de Distillers Company Ltd, (D.C.L.), in dit geval samen met John Walker & Sons Ltd, eigenaar van St. Magdalene. J.A.R. Dawson was de derde aandeelhouder.
Dit proces van sluiten, fuseren, bankroet gaan, samenwerken zou tot aan de tweede wereldoorlog voortduren: te grote voorraden, geen geld, de eerste wereldoorlog, de Amerikaanse drooglegging, de economische crisis in de jaren dertig.
De Distillers Company Ltd, nam bedrijven over, sloot distilleerderijen, saneerde en zo overleefde de Schotse whisky industrie, zij het gedecimeerd, deze lange periode. Op 28 Juli 1914 werd de Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd gevormd, om, toen ook al, vraag en aanbod met elkaar in overeenstemming te brengen.
Van de oorspronkelijke vijf Lowland distilleerderijen is alleen Glenkinchie nog in bedrijf.
St. Magdalene kwam pas aan het eind van de tweede wereldoorlog weer in bedrijf. St. Magdalene sloot in 1983. St. Magdalene is deels omgebouwd tot een appartementencomplex. St. Magdalene had vier ketels.
De turf kwam van Falkirk en Slamanan, het water kwam uit Loch Lomond.
Situated on a historical site, St. Magdalene Distillery was founded next door to Bonnytoun Distillery, Linlithgow, in approximately 1798, by Sebastian Henderson. The owners of Bonnytoun, The Dawson Family, quickly took over St. Magdalene and merged the two distilleries into one. The annual output from St. Magdalene's five stills was 200.000 proof gallons.
One of five distilleries in Edinburgh, St. Magdalene amazingly the longest surviving of all the Lowland distilleries, unlike other distilleries in the area, some of which lasted twenty to thirty years and some for only one single year.
St. Magdalene Distillery made good use of the transport opportunities which were many, including road, rail and canal.
The same family ran the distillery until 1912 when it was liquidated. Two years on it was purchased by D.C.L. and then became one of the original five distilleries of Scottish Malr Distillers, along with Clydedale, Glenkinchie,Grange and Rosebank.
S.M.D. ran the distillery until 1983 when it was earmarked for closure along with several others. The buildings were bought soon after the closure By a developer, and converted into luxury flats.
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'. In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Re-leases series. Linlithgow, West Lothian. Linlithgow was a centre of milling and malting in the seventeenth century, and for brewing a and distilling in the eighteenth.
The raw materials for these processes were close at hand: barley in the Lothians, and inex- haustible local sources of water.
"The vast copiousness of water at Linlithgow", Black's Picturesque Tourist of Scotland noted in 1844, "is alluded to in the following well-known rhyme: "Lithgow for wells, Glas- gow for bells, Peebles for clashes and lees and Falkirk for beans and peas"
The distillery's early history is obscure. It is said to have been founded in the eighteenth century by Sebastian Henderson, on the lands of St. Magdalene's Cross, the former site of an annual fair and of St. Magdalene Hospital (which treated lepers).
Adam Dawson of Bonnytoun was the licensed distiller in 1797. He was the spokesman of the Lowland distillers in their campaign against the exemptions granted to Highland distil- lers by the Board of Exise.
The Dawsons were also brewers and maltsters. A list of Scottish brewers in 1825 included Adam Dawson, Bathgate Brewery, and Adam & John Dawson, West End, Linlithgow.
A. & J. Dawson succeeded Adam Dawson at St. Magdalene in 1829 . Colonel Ramage Dawson, the managing partner for many years, died in 1892. He had other interests such as the estate Balladn, Kinross-shire, where he resided, "extensive and valuable coffee plantations in Ceylon", and the colonelcy of the Haddiagton Artillery. St. Magdalene's ownership by a private company did not long survive him.
A. & J. Dawson was incorporated as a limited liability company on 6 November 1894. It had capital of 70.000 pounds divided into 2800 prefeerence and 4200 ordinery shares of 10 pounds.
The first directors were J.A. Ramage Dawson, J.M. Crabbie, spirit merchant of Leith, and George Robertson, wine merchant of Edinburgh
Additions to the buildings and improvements in the equipment were made from time to time to meet increasing demand for the product.
Then intense competition among the Lowland distillers brought about an unfavourable turn in the company's affairs. On 17 april 1912, creditors presented a petition to wind up A. & J. Dawson Ltd. on the ground that is was insolvent and unable to pay its debts. A liquidator was accordingly appointed. . The Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) of Edinburgh was offered the opportunity to buy the distillery, either on its account or in partnership with others. Eventually it agreed to aquire all assets and to assume all liabilities, on certain condition
A new company, also called A. & J. Dawson Ltd was incorporated on 16 November 1912 With a capital of 60.00 pounds, divided into 20.000 preference shares, all taken up J.A. Ramage Dawson and 40.000 ordinary shares, taken up by him, the Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) and John Walker and Sons Ltd, Scotch whisky blenders of Kilmarnock.
The new owners opened up negotiations with other Lowland distillers which resulted in the amalgamation of five Lowland distillery companies, including Dawson's, as Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, in July of 1914.
The front of St. Magdalene Distillery was situated upon the main road from Edinburgh to Stirling.
The economy of its communications must have been immrnsely enhanced by the completion in 1822 of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal, and by the opening of Linlithgow Station on the railway line linking the two cities in 1842.
Alfred Barnard, a perceptive observer, noted in The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom,
in 1887, that St. Magdalene had its own wharf on the canal, which runs along the back of the distillery, for unloading barge-borne coke and coal. Water from the canal was used for driving an overshot water-wheel for supplying steam and for fire-fighting.
The movement of raw materials was largely merchandised. The main means of power must have been the "handsome beam engine of 20 h.p." which almost certainly drove the malt mill, the mashing machine and the heavy stirring gear in the mash-tuns.
One donkey engine drove the switchers in the washbacks and another was used for pumping.
The water wheel worked the rummagers in the wash stills. A gas engine of 2 h.p. supplied the Power for joisting barley to the top op the West Maltings which had five storeys: one used as a granuary, two as malting floors and two as duty-free warehouses.
The East Maltings was smaller with four storeys. There was a total of 19 warehouses, including One of the "enormous proportions", built in brick on the other side of the Edinburgh road where there was a frontage of 600 feet to the railway
A trade journal reported in 1927 that S.M.D. had equipped the distillery with the most effective labour-saving appliances, all driven by electricity. Malting was carried out on open floors, by manual techniques, and mechanically, in pneumatic drums.
Samples of barley on offer to all S.M.D. distilleries were tested in a laboratory on the premises.
The maltings continued to work throughout the economic depression of the 1930s when produc- tion of whisky at St. Magdalene and many other distilleries ceased for many years.
Distillation was restarted after the end of World War II.
The furnaces of St. Magdalene's four pot stills, which had previously been fired by hand, were equipped with a mechanical coal stoking system in 1961.
Coal , which had been carried on the canal before the war, was delivered by road until 1971, when the stills were converted to internal heating by steam from a oil-fired boiler
Casks of whisky were sent by road to Bathgate Station and barley was delivered by the same means in reverse until 1968, when S.M.D. began to supply its Lowland distilleries with malt made at its large modern mechanised maltings at Glenesk Distillery, near Montrose.
St. Magdalene's maltings then went out of use.
St. Magdalene takes its process water from Linlithgow's domestic supply, which comes from the Loch Lomond.
The distillery has its own reservoir on the other side of the canal.
Water from the canal is used for cooling purposes only
The distillery was closed in 1983 due to overproduction and has since been redeveloped for residential use.
1795 Sebastian Henderson founds the distillery 1796 Adam Dawson, proprietor of the distillery Bonnytoun in Linlithgow, buys the distillery 1894 A. & J. Dawson is formed and the distillery is expanded 1912 A. & J. Dawson goes in liquidation and Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) purchases St. Magdalene 1913 St. Magdalene is one of the five founders of Scottish Malt Distillers (S.M.D.). The others are Clydesdale, Glenkinchie, Rosebank and Grange 1927 Extensive repair work takes place 1968 Floor maltings is closed 1983 The distillery is closed 1995 St. Magdalene 1970 (23 years) is released as a Rare Malt 1998 St. Magdalene 1979 (19 years) is released as a Rare Malt
THE OLD MALT CASK 50o Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd Douglas House 18, Lynedoch Crescent, Glasgow In 1949 Fred Douglas Laing established Douglas Laing & Co primarily as a blender and bottler for his Scotch Whisky blends The King of Scots and House of Peers, which are available today internationally. Large stocks and reserves of aging Malts in particular, were laid down by Mr. Laing, many being guarded for 25 - 30 years specifically for the older blends such as the 25 and 30 Year Old KING OF SCOTS. With more than 50 different Malts in stock, over the last 50 years from filling programme, it was obvious that the Malt Master would have certain favourites. These have variously been chalked off the times of regular quality control, as being of particular qualitative interest; both commercially, and for the pleasure of the Directors. It has been their particular perk, benefit and privelege to nose and taste some of the finest quality samples indicative of the Distillers's art. It was judged by the two current owners/directors (sons of the founder, so nepotism is not dead!) that some of these stocks were 'too good to blend'. And so the OLD MALT CASK selection was developed in 1999 to extend those perks and benefits beyond the Director's tasting suite! Initially it was felt that 50 different Malts commemorating the Company's 50th Anniversary would be approciate. That tally has now been exeeded but our preferred strenght of 50 X ale/vol is maintained. We believe this strenght creates a fine, round, full quality for various Malts when taken 'neat'. It also allows the regular consumer to know precisely how much or little water should be added to this artisan and craftman's distillate. These selected Malt Whiskies have waited many years to reach their classic heights of qua-lity. Not only with your health in mind, but with a view to greater enjoyment, may we suggest that in the style of the founder, whose signature endorses your Malt, you enjoy its glass leisurely and slowly. Douglas Laing
Founded in the late eighteenth century by Sebastian Henderson, the distillery was first licensed to Adam Dawson of Bonnytown in 1797. St. Magdalene was mothballed in 1983 and was later sold for residential redevelopment. The only sign of the distillery that remains today is its pagoda.
Close to the Union Canal, from which it drew water for cooling and operate the waterwheel Process water was drawn from from a hilltop spring and a 300 - ft deep artesian well and a other spring from close to the distillery as a stand by water spring.
Peat came from moors near Falkirk and Slamannan
Washbacks 14 each 6500 gallon capacity, a wash charger à 9000 gallon and 5 stills with a total capacity of 14.500 gallons. The output was between 200- and 225000 gallons.
There were 4 exisemen and 40 staff
St. Magdalene founded in the late eighteenth century by Sebastian Hen - derson, the distillery was first licensed to Adam Dawson of Bonnytown in 1797. St. Magdalene was mothballed in 1983 and was later sold for residential redevelopment.
Lost 18th century malt distillery that was also known as Linlithgow.
St Magdalene, or Linlithgow as it was also known, was a sizeable distillery occupying a prime position between the Union Canal and railway line. The distillery benefitted not only from its own rail sidings but its own wharf as well, where coal and coke were landed to fire St Magdalene’s stills. Water from the Union Canal was used for cooling, though process water was drawn from an artesian well on-site.
When it was eventually acquired by DCL St Magdalene was a relatively large distillery, with 14 washbacks, five stills (two wash; three low wines), three worm tubs, 19 warehouses and the capacity to produce over 1 million litres of alcohol per year. At the time of whisky writer Alfred Barnard’s visit in the later 19th century, he noted some ‘very old’ whisky stored in the warehouses, distilled in 1875 and 1877, and some older. He would have been surprised by the age of some stocks available today, albeit in limited quantities.
Although most of the distillery’s whisky was destined for blending, it has been bottled by independents under both the St Magdalene and Linlithgow brands. Diageo released two official bottlings as part of its Rare Malts series in the 1990s – a 23-year-old 1970 vintage, and a 19-year-old 1979 vintage. A 30-year-old bottling named Linlithgow was also released in 2004 as part of Diageo’s Special Releases for that year.
At one time the royal burgh of Linlithgow was home to five distilleries, and though it was St Magdalene that outlasted them all, its whisky-producing days are gone.
St Magdalene was built in the mid-18th century by Sebastian Henderson, to oppose the construction of Bulzion distillery that appeared a few years earlier. Henderson had rented the lands of St. Magdalene’s Cross convent from the Countess of Dalhousie to build the distillery.
In 1798 the distiller and provost Adam Dawson, who already operated the adjacent Bonnytoun distillery, bought St Magdalene and transferred his operation across. Dawson’s business soon grew so that St. Magdalene absorbed the original Bonnytoun site, stretching out across 10 acres of land.
St Magdalene remained in family ownership until the early 20th century under A&J Dawson, which was incorporated as a limited company in 1895.
By 1912, facing intense competition and a decline in the market, A&J Dawson went into liquidation. The business was purchased from the liquidators by Distillers Company Ltd (DCL) and licensed to William Greer & Co.
Two years later it became one of the original five distilleries comprising Scottish Malt Distillers, along with Rosebank, Glenkinchie, Clydesdale and Grange distilleries.
DCL continued the operation of St Magdalene throughout the 20th century, though the distillery became one of nine permanently closed by the company in 1983.
The distillery was renovated into residential flats in the early 1990s, though its malting barn and kiln, which are registered as C Grade listed buildings, remain. St Magdalene’s pagoda roof is the last reminder of the burgh’s distilling heritage.