14 years old
The Northern Highlands
CLYNELISH zie ook BRORA
Brora, Sutherland. Licentiehouder: Ainslie & Heilbron (Distillers) Limited. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Gebouwd in 1967 - 1968.
Clynelish bezit 6 ketels met een jaarproduktie van 3,2 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
Het proceswater en koelwater is afkomstig van één bron: de Clynemilton Burn.
Op 12 Mei 1997 werd de fusie aangekondigd tussen Guinness en Grand Metropolitan, (GrandMet). Op 16 Oktober 1997 staakt de Fransman Bernard Arnault van L M V H zijn verzet tegen de fusie voor een afkoopsom van ƒ 800.000.000. De nieuwe naam van de gefuseerden zou eerst G M G Brands worden, maar op 22 Oktober 1997 werd bekend gemaakt dat de naam Diageo zou worden, afgeleid van het Latijnse woord voor dag en het Griekse woord voor wereld.
Diageo wordt het grootste drankenconcern ter wereld, groter dan Seagram en Allied Domecq samen en met een omzet van 40 miljard gulden.
Op 28 Maart 1998 verkoopt Diageo het whiskymerk Dewar's en het ginmerk Bombay voor één miljard aan Bacardi Martini. Het afstoten van de twee merken was een voorwaarde die door de Amerikaanse mededingingautoriteiten was gesteld aan de goedkeuring van de fusie tussen Guinness en Grand Metropolitan.
Dewar's heeft een omzet van ruim één miljard gulden en een marktaandeel van 10 %. Het merk is marktleider in de V.S.
Diageo is de overkoepelende naam voor United Distillers & Vintners (U.D.V.) Pilsbury, Guinness en Burger King.
Onderdeel van de verkoop houdt ook in de overname van de distilleerderijen Aberfeldy, Aultmore, Craigellachie en Royal Brackla door Bacardi Martini.
Maart 2002 wordt bekend dat Diageo ook zijn merk Malibu verkoopt aan Allied Domecq voor 6 900 miljoen, Diageo had 1,2 miljard Euro gevraagd.
Diageo krijgt nog wel 6 85 miljoen schadevergoeding van Vivendi Universal, voor de perikelen rond het merk Captain Morgan.
Ook verkrijgt Allied Domecq de Amerikaanse Champagnepoot Mumm Cuvee Napa voor bijna 6 32 miljoen.
De omzet van Malibu is 6 70 miljoen, die van Mumm Cuvee Napa 6 4,8 miljoen. De Franse poot van Mumm was al in handen van Allied Domecq.
Het water voor Clynelish komt van de Clynemilton Burn.
De Mash tun is 12 ton.
Er staan acht Wash backs van elk 60.000 liter.
De drie Wash stills hebben elk een inhoud van 27000 liter, de drie Spirit stills elk 15.000 liter en worden met stoom verhit.
2005 Kapaciteit: 3.400.000 liter spirit per jaar.
Clynelish Distillery was established in 1819 by the Marquess of Stafford who had married the heiress of the vast Sutherland estates and took that name later when he was made a duke. He had conceived a scheme of economic improvement that entailed moving the inhabitants from the interior to the seaboard where land was allotted to them. The distillery fitted into a plan for regenerating arable farms on the coastal strip.
Its origin was described by James Loch, the Marquess's Lands Commissioner, in 1820: "The first farm beyond the people's lot (at Brora) is Clynelish which has recently been let to Mr. Harper from the county of Midlothian. Upon this farm also there has just been erected a distillery at an expense of £750. This was done ... to afford the smaller tenants upon the estate a steady and ready market for their grain without their being obliged to dispose of it to the illegal distiller". It was hoped that the existence of the distillery would put an end to illicit distilling, a practice that, in Loch's words, had nursed the people "in every species of deceit, vice, idleness and dissipation".
Loch's account is illustrated by an architect's elevation and plan of the buildings. These ex-emplify a very early purpose-built distillery. Other distilleries of this date, and much later, were typically outbuildings of farmsteads, fitted up for distilling, or occasionally, as at Oban, converted breweries. Even so, the distillery and farm at Clynelish were integrated in one operation. A piggery is marked on the architect's plan. Spent grains left over from the manufacturing processes fed the pigs, and they in turn fertilised the "larger proportion of unimproved land" added to the farm "in consequence of the command of manure which the distillery will afford the tenant". Part of Brora Muir was reclaimed for farming by this means, and coal from the mine at Brora was used in the distillery's furnaces.
James Harper started up with one wash still and one spirit still, with respective capacities of 200 and 87 gallons. He produced 10,015 gallons, on which he paid duty of £2,774, in 1821-22. The next lessee was Andrew Ross in 1834, followed by George Law-son in 1846. Lawson, the brother of the local bank agent, was well placed to obtain capital. He made substantial improvements and extensions, notably by the erection of a new malt kiln and the replacement of the original stills. The Lawsons seem to have been efficient farmers: two Highland oxen from Clynelish won the first prize in their class, and sheep gained other awards, at the Smithfield Show in 1894.
George Lawson & Sons sold the business to Ainslie & Co., Scotch whisky blenders, of Leith, in 1896. Harper's Weekly, a trade journal, then described it as "a singularly valuable property, as the make has always obtained the highest price of any single Scotch whisky. It is sent out, duty-paid, to private customers all over the kingdom; and it also commands a very valuable export trade: the demand for it in that way is so great that the proprietors ... have for many years been obliged to refuse trade orders".
The new owners enlarged productive capacity and warehouse accommodation to meet the demand from wholesalers as well as from private customers. Rebuilding was completed in
1897. A stone bearing the coats of arms of the Marquess of Stafford and the Countess of Sutherland, and the date "1820", has been preserved on the gable wall of the stillhouse, just under the bell-cote.
Ainslie's business was put in the hands of a trustee in 1912. John Risk, who already held a 50% interest in Clynelish, bought
the other 50% and offered it to The Distillers Company Limited. The Clynelish Distillery Co. Ltd. was formed, with a capital of £0, owned in equal proportions by Risk and DCL. With the acquisition in 1916 of Coleburn Distillery, Speyside, the capital was increased to £0, one third of which was owned by John Walker & Sons of Kilmarnock. DCL acquired all the shares in 1925 and five years later transferred Clynelish to its subsidiary, Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.
It was reckoned in 1928 that manual labour had been reduced to a minimum. The Pelton water wheel, which had originally supplied all the motive power, had been supple-mented in 1897 by a horizontal steam engine, made by Shanks of Arbroath. A system of screw and band conveyors moved raw materials throughout the buildings, and a power house was being built to generate electric light.
Clynelish closed in March 1931 as a result of the economic depression. It restarted in Sep-tember 1938, only to shut down from May 1941 until November 1945, on account of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers.
Technological change came in the post-war years. The water wheel and the steam engine were displaced by electric power in the 1960's. The two stills, which were heated by a coal-burning furnace, hand-fired, were converted to internal heating by steam in 1961. The dis-tillery took half of its coal supply from Ross Pit, Brora, and half from the Lowlands. The last delivery of coal was made on 4 November 1966. The boiler was then converted for burning oil.
A new distillery was built on an adjacent site in 1967-68. It had six stills, all heated by steam from an oil-fired boiler. The new distillery was given the name "Clynelish". The old distillery was closed for a time, and then reopened, after the rebuilding of the mash house, as "Brora Distillery" in April 1975. It is the subject of the drawing at the head of this leaflet.
Both distilleries use the same water supply, piped from a weir on the Clynemilton Burn on the shoulder of Colbhein. They occupy a site of approximately 5 acres (2 hectares). SMD pro-vides seven houses for distillery employees. It also owns Clynelish Farm, which covers 320 acres (130 hectares) and is let to tenants.
The distiller's licence is held by Ainslie & Heilbron (Distillers) Ltd., of Glasgow, blenders of Royal Edinburgh Scotch whisky. They also bottle and sell Clynelish single malt whisky.
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Re-leases series
Water: Clynemilton Burn
Mash tun: 1 x 12 tonnes
Wasbacks: 8 x 60.000 litres
3 wash stills x 15000 litres
3 spirit stills x 27.000 litres
Output: 3.000.000 ltres
Diageo to invest £30m in Clynelish
Diageo has announced plans for a £30 million expansion of its Clynelish distillery in Sutherland.
In the latest major stage in Diageo's £1 billion programme to increase Scotch whisky production, plans have been submitted to Highland Council for the major expansion of Diageo's most northerly distillery.
The Clynelish expansion will take the on-going capital investment by Diageo in the Highland Council region alone to almost £150m, including major expansions at Glen Ord and Teaninich Distilleries and plans to build a new distillery at Alness.
Diageo's director of distillation and maturation, Keith Miller said: "Clynelish is a very special distillery, producing spirit which is highly prized for its quality and character and is an important part of our Scotch whisky blending inventory, so this is an important part of our investment programme.
The Clynelish announcement came as six copper stills were delivered to the Glen Ord Distillery as part of the £25 million expansion plan which is doubling the size of that distillery to more than 10million litres per annum.
Diageo is also doubling the capacity at the Teaninich distillery in Alness and is progressing plans to build a new malt whisky distillery and renewable energy plant on land adjacent to Teaninich. In total these projects represent a capital investment of nearly £150million across the Highland Council area.
Clynelish Distillery produces single malt whisky, it describes as "unique in both taste and texture" which is highly prized by Diageo's master blenders for use in brands such as Johnnie Walker. Clynelish is also a highly regarded as a single malt whisky in its own right. The distillery is also home to one of Diageo's 12 distillery visitor centres, receiving more than 5,000 visitors per year. Clynelish is near the Sutherland town of Brora.
Under the plans submitted Clynelish distillery will see the installation of an additional mash tun, 10 new washbacks and six new copper stills for distilling the spirit. This adds to the 10 washbacks and six stills which the distillery currently has and will effectively double the production capacity to 9m litres of alcohol per annum, while retaining the character and quality of the spirit. A bio-energy plant is also planned for the site to provide non-fossil fuel energy to power the distillery.
The world's leading premium drinks business, is also investing in new warehousing to store the additional spirit, with a major new bonded warehouse site being developed at Cluny in Fife.