LOMOND also see INVERLEVEN en DUMBARTON
Dumbarton, Strathclyde. Licentiehouder: Hiram Walker & Sons (Scotland) Ltd. Onder-deel van Allied Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Allied Domecq.
In 1938 gesticht door Hiram Walker en in feite twee distilleerderijen: de Dumbarton Grain Distillery en een malt whisky distilleerderij waar twee verschillende single malt whiskies kunnen worden geproduceerd.
De twee single malt whiskies worden beiden van dezelfde mash en met dezelfde gisting gemaakt, maar gedistilleerd in twee verschillende ketels.
De single malt whisky bekend onder de naam Lomond komt uit een ketel die wel lijkt op een alambiek, zoals ook wordt gebruikt in de Cognacstreek.
Het was een uitvinding van Fred Whiting, een medewerker van de Hiram Walker groep en deze ketel was ook in gebruik bij Miltonduff en Glenburgie en als washstill bij Scapa.
De single malt whisky afkomstig uit de Lomond ketel is voller, fluweelachtiger van smaak dan de gewone single malt whisky, Inverleven genaamd.
Het gebruikte water komt uit Loch Lomond.
Er staat één mash tun van 5 ton inhoud, en wash backs van elk 28000 liter inhoud.
De twee ketels worden met stoom verhit, de wash still is groot 25000 liter, de spirit still 20000 liter.
De maltdistilleerderij werd in 1992 gesloten.
Allied Distillers Februari 2003
Dumbarton Distillery sluit. Het komplex waar ook het hoofdkantoor van Allied was gevestigd, hergde ook de Dumbarton Grain distilleerderij, en ook werden de malt whiskies Lomond, waarvan slechts één botteling bekend is, uitgebracht door de Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh onder code nummer 98.1, en Inverleven.
De capaciteit van de Grain distilleerderij Strathclyde wordt vergroot tot 39 miljoen liter spirit per jaar, dat was 32 miljoen liter.
Het hoofdkantoor wordt gevestigd te Kilmalid.
Het enorme gebouwencomplex is verkocht aan twee projectontwikkelaars.
LOWLAND SINGLE GRAIN SCOTCH WHISKY
Dumbarton featured American-style stainless steel columns rather than the traditional Coffey stills used by most Scottish grain distilleries. Though it soon realised the inclusion of sacrificial copper is important in the production of quality grain whisky, its process and strict adherence to the use of maize, meant its spirit was rather heavy in character.
Its whisky was mostly reserved for the Ballantine’s blend, and was never bottled as a single grain. However, some independent bottlings have emerged from Douglas Laing and Hunter Laing.
In 1936 Canadian distiller Hiram Walker-Gooderham and Worts purchased notable blender George Ballantine & Sons, giving it sizeable stocks of mature whisky and an established brand (Ballantine’s), but no distilleries. It had already acquired Glenburgie in 1930 and bought Miltonduff also in 1936, but it lacked a reliable source of grain whisky. The following year it established Hiram Walker (Scotland) to oversee its new Scottish operations, as well as build a new grain and malt distillery complex at the old MacMillan shipyard on the banks of the River Leven, which was to act as the group’s headquarters.
At the time Dumbarton began distilling in 1938, it was the largest continuous distillery in Scotland producing grain whisky. It was also the first to challenge the supremacy of the Coffey still by installing American-style stainless steel columns built by Vulcan Copper & Supply Co. of Cincinnati. The ‘continuous distilling unit’ had the ability to produce both potable grain spirit as well as neutral grain spirit, but could only process maize.
While Dumbarton was producing grain whisky for the Ballantine’s blend, Inverleven, which opened in the same year, began producing malt whisky. In 1956 a third Lomond still was added with an attached rectification column designed to produce different styles of spirit. While the still used Inverleven’s wash still, spirit receiver and low wines and feints charger, it was technically classed as a separate distillery called Lomond. It was decommissioned in 1985, though its still was salvaged by Islay’s Bruichladdich to produce its Botanist gin.
In 1988 Hiram Walker was sold to Allied Lyons, and so Dumbarton fell for the first time under British ownership. Three years later Allied mothballed the Inverleven distillery, and in 2002 Dumbarton itself followed suit. The buildings have since been demolished to make way for a new housing development, including the site’s long-standing, iconic red tower.
No record of Dumbarton’s history would be complete without mention of the ‘Scotch Watch’, a 100-strong gaggle of Chinese white geese introduced by Hiram Walker in 1959 to protect Dumbarton’s whisky stocks from intruders. The birds became something of a tourist attraction and were even used to advertise the Ballantine’s blend. When Dumbarton finally closed in 2002, the geese stayed put, though 10 years later the remaining seven birds were finally retired and sent to live with an existing flock at Glasgow Green.
2005 - present
1994 - 2005
1987 - 1994
Lomond stills incorporate a rectification column, similar to that in a coffey still, comprised of three perforated plates that give greater control over reflux. The apparatus gives the distiller the option to produce different styles of spirit using the same still. The one at Lomond distillery was used to create a lighter style of malt whisky for blending.
Canadian drinks group Hiram Walker built the Dumbarton complex in West Dunbartonshire in 1938, which became the largest grain distillery in Scotland at the time. In its early years the complex comprised of a grain distillery (Dumbarton), and a malt distillery (Inverleven), but in 1956 Hiram Walker added a new still to create an altogether different kind of malt whisky.
The Lomond still, first designed by chemical engineer Alistair Cunningham and draftsman Arthur Warren in 1955, had the ability to produce a variety of different styles of malt whisky.
Hiram Walker, requiring a light, fruity style for its Ballantine’s blend, but lacking in space, installed just one of the innovative new 11,000-litre stills – a spirit still – at Inverleven. Pairing it with Inverleven’s wash still, the set-up technically became a second distillery, called Lomond.
However the Lomond single malt differed too greatly to the Lowlands style produced by Inverleven, so its rectifying plates were removed to bring it back in line with its sister malt.
The Lomond distillery continued production at Dumbarton until it was mothballed in 1985. Inverleven followed suit in 1991, and new owner Allied Distillers (later Allied Domecq), which acquired Hiram Walker in 1987, closed the last distillery at the Dumbarton complex in 2002.
Lomond’s quirky still was recovered by Bruichladdich in 2010 for the production of The Botanist gin. During the mid-20th century, lomond stills were also installed at Loch Lomond, Glenburgie, Miltonduff and Scapa, although only the wash still at Scapa and the Lomond still at Bruichladdich remain in use.
Lomond’s whisky was almost never bottled as a single malt, and is extremely difficult to find today.
2005 - present
1994 - 2005
1988 - 1994
Hiram Walker & Sons
1956 - 1988