INFO SPECIAL RELEASES 2003 Fine Cask Strenght Single Malt Whiskies Distilled 1953 Bottled 2003 Highland Malt Whisky Hand Finished Bottling A Unique Limited Bottling 498 specially produced etched Decanters Genummerde Decanters Scottish Malt Distillers, Elgin
Aged 31 years
50,6 % SIGNATORY VINTAGE CASK STRENGHT COLLECTION Distilled on: 21/06/1973 Bottled on: 19/01/2005 Matured in a Sherry Hogshead Cask No. 6859 211 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh
Aged 20 years
INFO RAREST OF THE RARE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY CASK STRENGHT Unique Whiskies of Distinction A Historic Collection of Cask Strenght Single Cask Whiskies from Distilleries which no longer exist Distilled:07.1984 Bottled: 06.2005 Cask no. 3048 281 Numbered Bottles Fons et Origo D.T.C. No Chill Filtering or Colourings of any kind Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd, Huntly, Aberdeenshire
36 year old
INFO SPECIAL RELEASES 2005 Fine Cask Strenght Single Malt Whiskies Distilled 1968 Bottled 2005 American Oak Refill Casks Highland Malt Whisky Limited Edition 2100 etched Decanters Numbered Decanters Scottish Malt Distillers, Elgin
Aged 22 years
INFO RAREST OF THE RARE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY CASK STRENGHT Unique Whiskies of Distinction A Historic Collection of Cask Strenght Whiskies from Distilleries which no longer exist Distilled 07.1984 Cask no. 3046 Bottled: 11.2006 287 Numbered Bottles Fons et Origo D T C No Chill Filtering or Colourings of any kind Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd, Huntly, Aberdeenshire
INFO 28 years old
46 % GORDON & MACPHAIL RARE OLD A SPECIAL SINGHLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY FROM GLENURY ROYAL DISTILLERY Distilled 1984 Bottled 2012 LOT NO: RO / 12 / 05 This exclusive Lot is Limited to 430 Bottles Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected, Matured and Bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
Highland Malt The Eastern Highlands GLENURY ROYAL (1825 -1993)
Stonehaven, Kincardineshire. Licentiehouder: John Gillon & Co, Ltd. Onderdeel van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness. Op 23 September 1993 werd Glenury Royal ontmantald. Glenury Royal werd in gesticht in 1825, de naam komt van de Glen waarin het district Ury is gelegen. In die jaren heerste er een recessie in de landbouw en de landheer en ook parlementslid voor Kincardine, Captain Robert Barclay (1779 - 1854) stichtte de distilleerderij om de boeren de afzet van hun gerst te verzekeren. Captain Robert Barclay was een progressieve, dynamische man, hij introduceerde het Lei-cesterschaap en het Durham rundvee in het noord-oosten van Schotland en de jaarlijkse veemarkt te Ury trok veekopers uit geheel Engeland. Ook werd hij bekend door zijn lange voettochten, in 1799 liep hij van Londen via Cambridge naar Birmingham, een afstand van 150 mijl, in twee dagen en in 1801 liep hij van Ury naar Boroughbridge in Yorkshire, 300 mijl in vijf dagen. In 1808 was hij de eerste man die 1000 mijl liep in 1000 achtereenvolgende uren. Op 5 Januari 1833 werd door Barclay, Macdonald & Co, voor het eerst accijns betaald: E 2,783. Barclay had een vriend aan het Engelse hof, aangeduid als 'Mr. Windsor', door wiens invloed hij toestemming kreeg van Koning William IV, het predikaat 'Royal' te voeren. Barclay had geen opvolger en in The Aberdeen Journal van 8 Januari 1847 werd Glenury Royal te koop aangeboden. 18 Februari 1857 werd Glenury Royal gekocht door William Ritchie te Glasgow en Stone-haven. In Mei 1925 toen Captain W.H.Ritchie en H.O. Ritchie de eigenaars waren van Glenury Royal, sloot de distilleerderij wegens de heel moeilijke periode die de whiskyindustrie toen doormaakte. Glenury Royal werd op 26 Juli 1936 verkocht door Lord Stonehaven voor E 7.500. Het is mogelijk dat hij de eigenaar was gedurende langere tijd en de distilleerde0op hun beurt Glenury Royal verkochten aan Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd, voor E 18.500 in 1938. Glenury Royal werd in 1939 weer opgestart om weer te worden gesloten gedurende de tweede wereldoorlog.
Joseph Hobbs werd financieel gesteund door National Distillers of America, en via Train & Mclntyre, de werkmaatschappij van Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd werden gekocht behalve Glenury Royal, Bruichladdich, Glenlochy, North Esk, Fettercairn, Benromach, Strathdee. Doel was om na het einde van de Amerikaanse drooglegging Schotse whisky te gaan leveren naar de Verenigde Staten. In 1940 verkocht Hobbs voor E 38.000 zijn aandeel aan National Distillers of America en hield er ook een optie aan over om voor E 250.000 aan whisky te mogen kopen. Glenury Royal was het hoofdkwartier van de A.S.D. en werd verfraaid met toegangswegen, plantsoenen, boomgaarden, ook was er een laboratorium. In 1953 werd A.S.D. overgenomen door The Distillers Company Limited. In 1965 - 1966 werd er verbouwd en eerst toen ging men over van waterkracht op electriciteit. De twee ketels werden sinds 1962 met stoom verhit en in 1965 kwamen er twee ketels bij. Sinds 1968 werd er niet meer zelf gemout, maar betrok Glenury Royal zijn mout van Glenesk. Het gebruikte water kwam van de Cowie rivier. Het meeste van de whisky ging in de blends van John Gillon & Co, Ltd; King William IV.
The distillery stands on the north bank of the Cowie Water, on the outskirts of Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, and takes its name from the glen that intersects the district of Ury. It first appeared in excise records on 5 January 1833, when Barclay McDonald & Co. paid duty of £2,783. Glenury was founded, partly to provide a market for barley in a period of agricultural depression, by the Laird of Ury. He was Captain Robert Barclay (1779-1854), sometime MP for Kincardine, a progressive farmer who introduced Leicester sheep and Durham cattle to the north-east of Scotland. The annual sale at Ury drew buyers from all parts of Great Britain. Barclay had exceptional physical strength and distinguished himself as an athlete. In 1799 he walked from London via Cambridge to Birmingham - a distance of 150 miles - in two days. In1801 he walked from Ury to Boroughbridge, Yorkshire, some 300 miles, in five days. In 1808 he became the first man in history to walk 1,000 miles in 1,000 successive hours. Captain Barclay was the last of his line. The Aberdeen Journal advertised the sale of the Glenury Royal Distillery "by public roup" on 8 January 1847, "at a reduced upset price of £0 sterling". It stated that "this extensive and very complete Malt Distillery is situated . . . within a mile of the seaport of Stonehaven . . . and fifteen miles south of Aberdeen. There will be a station near to it on the Aberdeen Railway, now fast advancing to completion. It is capable of distilling 10 gallons of Whisky annually, and in consequence of the perfect system of Machinery (all propelled by water) the expense of manual labour is greatly reduced. The supply of water is not only abundant at all seasons for every purpose, but is also of excellent quality for distillation, and the Whisky produced at the Works has long stood in high repute both in the Scotch and English markets". The firm's letter books bore the signature of Barclay McDonald & Co. until 18 February 1857, when the business was bought by William Ritchie, of Glasgow and Dunnottar House, Stone-haven. He made additions and improvements and increased capacity. One of the makings (now a filling store) was the scene where Captain Barclay was entertained to dinner by two hundred of his neighbours in the Mearns in 1838. It was used by the Ritchies to entertain citizens of Stonehaven and distillery employees at the time of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee and the building of a footbridge over the Cowie Water, which happily coincided in 1887. Captain W. H. Ritchie, of Dunnottar, and H. O. Ritchie, of Nether-ley, near Stonehaven, controlled the business in May 1925, when the distillery closed, ostensibly for spring-cleaning and plant renewal. The whisky industry was going through a difficult time. Glenury had been inactive for a period of uncertain length when it was sold by Lord Stonehaven for £0 on 26 July 1936. It is possible that he had been the ultimate owner for a considerable time and had rented out the premises to the Ritchies on long lease. The purchase was negotiated by
Joseph William Hobbs and Hatim Attari of London on behalf of the Glenury Distillery Co. That company sold the distillery in turn to Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd. for a consideration of £10 in 1938, a year after production resumed. Then, in the second world war, it stopped again. ASD had been formed by Hobbs (1890-1963), the son of a Hampshire farmer, who had emigrated to Canada in childhood. He had made a fortune in shipbuilding and property. After sustaining heavy losses in the slump of 1931, he returned to Britain with less than a thousand pounds, and with the help of financial backers, began to buy run-down assets in the Scotch whisky industry. A year after the outbreak of war in 1939 had interrupted Scotch whisky production, he sold ASD for £30 and an option to buy whisky valued at £20. Hobbs built roads into the distillery, landscaped the site and laid out gardens planted with flowering shrubs and trees. Glenury acted as the "control office" for all of ASD's distilleries, with a headquarters staff and a small laboratory. A pair of miniature pot stills, used as working models in the laboratory, is preserved. ASD was bought from National Distillers, a large American corporation, by The Distillers Company Limited of Edinburgh in 1953. Glenury has been worked since then by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., a DCL subsidiary. The main source of power at that time was the water wheel that drove the gearing for the mash tun, the sack hoist at the barley loft, the switchers in the tun room and the rummagers inthe wash stills. There was no steam engine, although electric motors may have been used for pumping. Electric power did not replace water power until the major reconstruction of 1965-66. This entailed the erection of new malt deposits and a new mill-room, the rebuilding of the mash house and tun room, together with the enlargement and re-equipment of other buildings, notably the stillhouse. The number of stills was increased from one pair, heated by steam since 1962, to two pairs. Glenury ceased to make its own malt in 1968, when SMD began production at Glenesk Makings, Montrose. Glenury's two maltings date from the nineteenth century: one is used as an empty cask store and the other as a filling store. The two kilns that linked them were demolished in 1979 to improve the limited access for road haulage vehicles. The distillery stands on an uphill and downhill site of 2 acres (0.8 hectares), adjoining 14 acres (5.7 hectares) of farmland, also owned by SMD and let to tenants. The area is triangular and is bounded by the river, the railway line, and the road to Netherley. It is said that the site was originally occupied by a woollen mill.
Glenury draws its water supply from the Cowie, by way of a lade or millstream. The river holds salmon, sea trout and brown trout. The town supply is used for fire hydrants and for domestic purposes: The distiller's licence is held by John Gillon & Co. Ltd., blenders of King William IV Scotch whisky. They bottle a small proportion of the output as Glenury Royal malt whisky.
October 2005 Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series
GLENURY ROYAL 50 years old 42,8 %
His father had been an M P for Kincardineshire and Robert later flirted with the idea too, but instead divided his time between London and country life back at Ury, the family seat at Stonehaven, on Scotland's eastern coast. By 1825 his distillery at Ury had been established, named after the picturesque Glen Ury. In 1835 he successfully petitioned King William IV for the right to call The Royal Glenury Distillery. Glenury Royal (as it became known) closed in 1985 and the buildings have since been taken down, but Captain Barclay's list of accomplishments lives on in this truly majestic 50-year-old single malt whisky from his old distillery. Made prior to its last rebuilding in two direct coal-fired stills, at a distillery that still malted its own barley, its mash tun, rummagers and barley hoists still driven by water wheel, this is a unique reminder of another age. There's a precedent for the present release, though so rare is this old malt whisky now that there can be no successor. Back in 1996, judges at the prestigious International Wine and Spirit Competition gave its antecedent, a mere 23 year old, the Ian Mitchell Memorial Trophy for most outstanding Single Malt Scotch Whisky of all. Golden, nutty and unctuous, with a leafy, long finish, that cask-strenght Rare Malt drank very well straight. Those who had the good fortune to sip it will certainly look forward to the present, even rarer and much older release. Very old whiskies can be far too woody, but this deep amber Glenury Royal has stood up as-tonishingly well and is full of interest. A wonderfully mellow, complex, highly, aromatic whisky, it has a lovely flavour. Rich, deep and luxurious, there's a real fruit salad of a nose here, full of plums, nectarines, old pears and Muscat grapes. There's marzipan and almond oil too, together with the rich aroma of chestnuts roasting. A very small amount of water brings up the nose and freshens it: it is wonderfully aromatic, complex and well integrated. The rich, smooth theme is carried on in the body, described by one taster as 'a whole box of liqueur chocolates concentrated into a tasting glass. Dark chocolate, variously filled with coffee and cherry liqueurs. Perhaps even peppermint'. It is smooth and sweet, with some waxy, nutty almond flavours. Like its prize-winning 1996 sibling, it drinks very well straight, but a tiny drop of water smoothes out the finish. The finish is mellow and as you might hope, very long-lasting, remaining fragrant for some time. Notes Our taster's comment: 'As good as it gets. Beyond price - as I'am sure it will be! Michael Jackson.
A SAFE BET? AS Captain Barclay would surely agree.
1994 Glenury Royal 23 years old and distilled in 1971 is launched as a Rare Malt 1999 Glenury Royal 29 years old and distilled in 1970 is launched as a Rare Malt 2003 Glenury Royal 50 years old is launched: 498 bottles
2005 Glenury Royal 36 years old is launched: 2100 bottles 1824 - 1825 Captain Robert Barclay, M P and Laird of Ury, founds the distillerywhich is named Glenurie
1835 Captain Robert Barclay receives permission to use the word Royalby William IV 1854 Captain Robert Barclay dies 1857 - 1858 The distillery is put up for auction and is bought by William Richie, Glasgow
1928 - 1937 No production takes place 1936 Lord Stonehaven who probably was the owner of Glenury Royal whilethe Ritchie family leased the distillery,
sells the distillery to theGlenury Distillery Company, with Joseph William Hobbs in it for7500 Pound 1938 Glenury Distillery Company sells the distillery for 18.500 Pounds to Associated Scottish Distillers (A.S.D.) where Joseph Hobbs is oneof the owners 1940 National Distillers of America buys A.S.D 1953 Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) buys A.S.D. from National Distillersof America Glenury Royal is transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd (S.M.D.) 1965 Substantial refurbishing takes place and the number of stills doubleto four 1968 Own Maltings cease 1983 Glenury Royal is mothballed 1992 United Distillers Ltd decides not to open Glenury Royal for production,and sells the buildings to an estate company
The distillery's founder Captain Robert Barclay, was a local Member of Paliament. Glenury Royal was given permission by king William IV to style its whisky 'Royal, after a friend of captain Barclay's influenced the King's decision. Many of Scotland's distilleries will claim to have royal connections, but only three have ever been entitled to the 'Royal'epithet. Aside from Glenury Royal, Royal Brackla was the first distillery to be granted a Royal Warrant in 1835, followed by Lochnagar in 1848
. In 1940 Glenury Royal was bought by National Distillers of America, and in 1953 Distil- lers Company Limited (D.C.L.) now Diageo, bought Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd from National Distillers of America. In 1965 refurbishing were done: the number of stills was doubled to four, in 1968 Malt production was stopped and Glenury Royal was mothballed on 31th May 1985. In 1992 the decision to finally cease production was taken in 1992.
Glenury Royal was founded in 1824 at the fishing port and resort of Stonehaven. One of only three distilleries in Scotland to have permission to use the word "Royal, the distillery was mothballed in 1985 and subsequently demolished.
Founded in 1824 by Captain Robert Barclay, the Laird of the Ury district, the distillery was to be situated in the fishing port of Stonehaven. Sadly, after closure in 1985 the distillery was de - molished and replaced with a housing development. All that remains is a plague, commemorating the distillery, on the base of the original chimney.
Process- and cooling water was obtained from the Cowie water. The floormaltings was abandoned in 1968.
The cast iron Mash tun had a capacity of 8.5 tonnes. Fermentation was done in 8 wooden Wash backs, from Oregon pine, each 45000 litres.
Glenury Royal had 2 Wash stills and 1 Spirit still, onion shaped and indirect heated by steam coils.
The Wash stills had a capacity of 18.600 litres each, the Spirit still 13.700 litres.
The output was 2.500.000 litres, the last years output was about 1,100.000 litres
Elegant, slightly oily and fragrant, think Oolong tea with a little smoke, Glenury Royal is a lesser spotted malt, though occasionally bottles do appear from independent bottlers. Two releases under the Diageo Rare Malts range showed tropical fruit characters. Even rarer are the distillery’s own bottlings which came out under the names Garron and Downie. The ‘Royal’ suffix was added in its earliest incarnation, thanks to then owner Captain William Barclay being a personal friend of King William IV [see Royal Brackla].
There was, apparently, a distillery on the Ury estate in the early 1820s which had been established by the Duke of Gordon in an attempt to stamp out illicit distillation on his lands. Whether the fire which destroyed this structure was a deliberate act of arson by moonshiners or an accident is unknown. The Duke got his way in the end as one of the main forces behind the reforming 1823 Excise Act which ushered in the birth of the modern Scotch whisky industry.
It was possibly only two years later (sources disagree) that Captain Robert Barclay, then the Laird of Ury, built his own distillery. Barclay was a famous figure: friend of royalty, gambler, improving agriculturalist he was also a noted long-distance walker who, among many other feats, once walked 1,000 miles in 1,000 hours for 1,000 guineas.
‘The Walking Captain’ retained ownership until 1858, when he sold it William Ritchie whose descendants ran it until 1938. At this point, Joseph Hobbs bought it for Train & Macintyre, the UK arm of National Distillers of America [see Glenesk]. It was then run as part of T&Ms Associated Scottish Distilleries portfolio which used Glenury as its head office
Not much whisky was made under its new owner. The distillery closed during World War Two and in 1953, NDA’s Scottish venture came to an end, just before the American market went into overdrive. Glenury Royal was then picked up by DCL.
In the mid 1960s, it was expanded and doubled in capacity, but was another which fell victim in whisky’s era horribilis of the early 1980s. The land was sold for housing and the distillery buildings demolished.
Glenury Royal distillery founded by Capt. James Barclay
Captain Barclay sells the operation to William Ritchie
Glenury Royal is bought by Joseph Hobbs for Associated Scottish Distilleries / Train & Macintyre, the Scottish arm of National Distillers of America
The distillery is bought by DCL
The distillery is closed and the site sold to developers
Diageo releases a 50-year-old expression
1997 - present (brand)
1986 - 1997 (brand)
Distillers Company Limited
1953 - 1986
1938 - 1953
William Ritchie & Co
1858 - 1938
Barclay, McDonald & Co
1825 - 1858
He may have established Glenury Royal distillery, but the whisky achievements of Captain Robert Barclay Allardice pale in comparison with his other exploits. Inexhaustible walker, gambler and pugilist, he was also a friend to Royalty.
Captain Robert Barclay Allardice: gambler, philanderer, long-distance walker and whisky hero.
Of all the enterprising individuals who founded distilleries in the early 19th century, none – not even the legendary Long John Macdonald – possessed the physical strength or inexhaustible energy of Captain Robert Barclay Allardice of Glenury Royal.
Known simply as Captain Barclay (1779-1854), he was one of Britain’s first sporting celebrities, and a keen pugilist who trained England’s champion prize-fighter of the early 1800s. He also won the equivalent of millions of pounds for his triumphs as the country’s leading exponent of ‘pedestrianism’, an extreme form of race-walking.
Furthermore, his feats of strength were legendary: it was said that one of his post-prandial party pieces was to ask a man to stand gently upon the palm of his hand, and then to lift up the fellow and place him atop the dinner table.
Capt Barclay was born on the large family estate near Stonehaven, the son of the Quaker, MP and noted athlete Robert Barclay, 5th of Ury. His father had married Sarah Ann Allardice in 1776 (hence the adoption of the additional surname), and they had eight children before he divorced her on the grounds that she had committed adultery with their footman.
His mother subsequently married the footman and went to live in Norwich. So, when the Captain’s father died in 1797, the youngster stood to inherit the family estate and most of the responsibilities normally assumed by the head of a landed aristocratic family.
He had already succumbed to the joys of gambling and high living while at Cambridge University, however, and become a member of the Fancy – the fashionable set of rich young men willing to sponsor sporting events and wager huge sums on the outcomes. His frequent companion on such occasions was the Duke of Clarence, the future King William IV.
Capt Barclay did not just bet on the performances of other men, however, but frequently backed himself to perform incredibly demanding physical challenges.
His biographer Peter Radford tells how Capt Barclay’s sporting feats became the stuff of legend, reported in the breathless style of the great newspapers of the day.
In 1801, for example, he walked 100 miles in less than 20 hours. In his most famous challenge, he walked 1,000 miles in 1,000 hours for a bet of 1,000 guineas.
Capt Barclay had a particular fondness for physical exertion, as his many wagers attest.
Between prodigious feats of strength, stamina and gambling he found time to serve briefly as the Marquess of Huntly’s aide-de camp during the Napoleonic War. He was appalled at the condition and mismanagement of the Army during the disastrous Walcheren campaign in 1809, however, and returned home to his old ways.
Capt Barclay loved the company of prize fighters, and developed rigorous training regimes for his stable of potential champions. He won the then astronomical sum of £10,000 in wagers when his fighter Tom Cribb defeated the American Tom Molyneaux in 1810.
His ‘system of manly corporeal exercises’ was considered highly effective in the promotion of both physical fitness and moral character, and was touted in the Press as an antidote to the degeneracy and sloth of the youth of the day.
Sporting endeavours kept Capt Barclay away from his Ury estate for much of each year, but he would return to the family home for a month or two each summer.
Ury Castle was reputedly a far from homely place – they say it had no door on the ground level, and visitors had to be hoisted up to the first floor in a basket – but the Captain’s spinster sister Rodney (yes, Rodney) kept house there, with the assistance of a few servants, and there was always a warm welcome for the Captain.
Indeed, the Captain became so fond of one young servant that she had a child by him. He took her off to the south of England and their wealthy neighbours were led to believe they were man and wife.
They had a tempestuous relationship, however, and they did not finally walk down the aisle until Mary was about to give birth to their second child. Sadly, both child and wife died soon afterwards.
On his visits home, the Captain continued the programme of agricultural improvements begun by his father. To encourage local arable farmers, he formed a company, Barclay, Macdonald & Co, to build the Glenury Distillery on the north bank of the River Cowie in 1825. He sold shares to local investors and advertised their whisky in London’s popular sporting periodicals.
The venture got off to an unfortunate start. In April, a fire broke out in the maltings, destroying the kiln, grain lofts and malt barn. The following month, one of the workmen fell into ‘the great boiler’ (probably the mash tun) and was horribly scalded, dying of his injuries soon afterwards.
Glenury Royal was eventually demolished well after Capt Barclay's time, having succumbed to the effects of the whisky loch of the 1980s.
Macdonald appears to have departed the business during the 1830s, and the manager John Windsor became a partner in his place. Things seemed to be looking up, as Windsor was appointed ‘Distiller to Her Majesty’ in March 1838 – it is said that Capt Barclay had petitioned his fellow follower of the Fancy, King William IV, to permit him to use the ‘Royal’ prefix before the King’s death.
The Royal Appointment gave rise to an unseemly quarrel, however, when the irascible Captain Fraser of Royal Brackla took issue with the claim that Glenury was the first to receive the Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria – he claimed to have received his several months earlier.
In later life, Capt Barclay spent more time at Ury Castle, hunting to hounds, walking enormous distances and entertaining on an extravagant scale. He started his own stage coach service between Edinburgh and Aberdeen and often drove long stages himself: indeed, he once drove a coach all the way from London to Aberdeen, stopping only to change horses.
He visited America, where he met President John Tyler, and wrote a book about his adventures. And he claimed the Earldom of Airth which, had he been successful, might have given him a claim to the throne of Scotland.
At the age of 65, Capt Barclay had a son by a young and hard-drinking local girl. She bore him another son when he was 70 and, after the death of the disapproving Rodney, the couple lived together at Ury Castle.
By then, however, the spendthrift Captain had been forced to sell his stake in the distillery and mortgaged his estate to meet huge debts. Old age finally began to take its toll and he suffered a series of strokes in his mid-70s.
He died, in 1854, after being kicked in the head by a horse.