WhiskybarPlaza.nl


Go to content

Main menu:


Glenlossie

Whisky collection Bar > G

GLENLOSSIE 12 years old 57.5 % INFO
SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY
Date distilled May 88
Date bottled Oct 00
Society Cask No. code 46.11
Outturn 312 bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
'Mandarine oranges and jammy dodgers'

GLENLOSSIE
26 years old 55 %
GORDON & MACPHAIL RESERVE
Distilled 1975
Cask No. 2909
Dark Sherry
Bottled 2001
Proprietors: John Haig & Co, Ltd.
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

GLENLOSSIE
18 years old 40 %
CONNNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1971
Bottled 1989
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

GLENLOSSIE
10 years old 43 % INFO
Distilled: 1982
Bottled: 1992
FLORA & FAUNA
Glenlossie Distillery, Elgin, Moray.

GLENLOSSIE
19 years old 40 % INFO
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1972
Bottled 1991
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin.

GLENLOSSIE
Aged 13 years 46 % INFO
THE NC 2 RANGE
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Speyside Region
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons et Origo
D T C
Distilled: 1993
Bottled: 2007-10-30
No Chill Filtering or
Colourings
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd,
Huntly, Aberdeenshire

GLENLOSSIE
29 years old 58,8 %
GORDON & MACPHAIL RESERVE
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled 1978
Cask no 1814
Bottled 2007-12-17
Limited Edition
195 Bottles
Proprietors; John Haig & Co, Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

GLENLOSSIE
Aged 13 years 46 % INFO
THE NC 2 RANGE
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Speyside Region
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons et Origo
D T C
Distilled: 1993
Bottled: 2007-10-30
No Chill Filtering or
Colourings
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd,
Huntly, Aberdeenshire

GLENLOSSIE
SIGNATORY VINTAGE
VINTAGE 1 9 9 2
Aged 18 years 46 %
THE UN - CHILLFILTERED COLLECTION
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled on: 16.11.1992
Matured in Hogsheads
Bottled on: 07.09.2011
Cask No's: 3328 & 3330
797 Numbered Bottlesd
Natural Colour
No Chill Filtration
Casks individually selected and bottled by
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd,
Pitlochry.


GLENLOSSIE
VINTAGE 1 9 9 2
20 years old 46 %
THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY
Speyside Single Malt
Distilled: 18/11/92
Matured in a Hoghshead
Cask no: 3444
Bottled: 20/09/13
290 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltered
Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company.NL

GLENLOSSIE
VINTAGE 1 9 9 7
Aged 16 years 46 %
THE UN - CHILLFILTERED COLLECTION
Speyside Dingle Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled on: 18.02.1997
Matured in Hogsheads
Cask nos: 812 & 813
Bottled on: 09.07.2013
793 Numbered Bottles
No Chillfiltration
Natural Colour
Individually selected and bottled by
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Pitlochry


Highland Malt
Speyside
GLENLOSSIE (1876 zie ook MANNOCHMORE en LOCH DHU

Elgin, Morayshire. Licentiehouder: John Haig & Co, Ltd. Glenlossie is onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Glenlossie werd gebouwd door John Duff, samen met twee partners, Alexander Grigor Allan en H.M.S. Mackay, in 1876.
John Duff, eigenaar van de Fife Arms te Lhanbryde in Morayshire was eerder manager geweest van Glendronach.
Samen met A. Marshall Mackenzie, architect te Elgin, tekende John Duff zelf de bouw-tekeningen voor Glenlossie.
Hij maakte vooral gebruik van het hoogteverschil van het land, het verschil in hoogte tussen het water, opgeslagen achter een dam en het waterwiel was 21 meter.
Dat maakte het gebruik van stoomkracht overbodig.
Glenlossie produceerde toen 2335 hectoliter spirit per jaar die werd afgenomen door John Hopkins & Co, Ltd, whiskyblenders te Glasgow.
Hij gebruikte de spirit deels voor zijn eigen blends, Old Mull en Glengarry. Hij was ook medeeigenaar geworden van Glenlossie.
In 1896, na de dood van Allan en het vertrek van John Duff, werd John Duff & Co af ge-heven.
H.M.S. Mackay werd de direkteur van The Glenlossie - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd, zijn neef J.H. Hair werd manager samen met A.M. Gregory die eerder had gewerkt bij Glen Albyn.
De zaken gingen voorspoedig, een zijlijn van de Speyside Railway werd aangelegd, tussen Elgin en Perth en via Grantown, zodat de eigen aan- en afvoer van goederen met een privť lijn voor goedkoop vervoer zorgddroeg.
Lagerpakhuizen werden gebouwd, verbeteringen en uitbreidingen gebeurden bijna elk jaar tot 1917 toen bijna alle malt distilleerderijen op last van de regering werden gesloten.
In 1919 verkreeg Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd een controlerend belang in The Glenlossie -Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd.
Glenlossie werd weer opgestart in 1919.
Op 6 Maart 1929 brak er brand uit, de schade bedroeg E 6000 en de rest van het seizoen was Glenlossie gesloten.
The Glenlossie - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd, werd opgeheven in 1930. Glenlossie was gesloten in de tweede wereldoorlog. In 1955 werd lagerpakhuis No. 3 gebouwd.
Ten behoeve van andere distilleerderijen van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, werden er in drie stappen in 1960, 1965 en 1975 nieuwe lagerpakhuizen gebouwd.

Het aantal ketels werd in 1962 uitgebreid met twee tot zes. De kolengestookte ketels worden sinds 1972 door stoom verhit. Mannochmore werd in 1971 gebouwd, naast Glenlossie.
Karakteristiek voor de produktie bij Glenlossie is dat de spirit stills zijn voorzien van 'purifiers', tussen de 'lyne arm', de koperen pijp boven aan de ketel, tussen de zwanenhals en condenser, die een schoner, zuiverder produkt mogelijk maken.
Deze zijn niet in gebruik bij Mannochmore.
In 1969 werd een fabriek gebouwd voor het produceren van veevoeder.
Glenlossie en Mannochmore gebruiken dezelfde waterbronnen, proceswater van de Bardon Burn, koelwater van de Geloch Burn en Burn of Foths.
Tot de distilleerderij behoren drie boerderijen, Glenlossie Farm, Easternton Farm en Wardens Farm.
De Mash tun is 8 ton.
De acht Wash backs hebben elk een inhoud van 40000 liter.
De drie Wash stills hebben elk een inhoud van 15600 liter, de Spirit stills elk 13500 liter en worden met stoom verhit.
De jaarproduktie van Glenlossie is 800.000 liter spirit.

Glenlossie and Mannochmore Distilleries

Elgin, Morayshire
Glenlossie Distillery was built in 1876 by John Duff, tenant of the Fife Arms, Lhanbryde, Morayshire. The Aberdeen Journal for 21 February 1877 described him as the "great moving spirit" of the enterprise and "a gentleman who has been thoroughly trained to distillery work" as "manager for several years at Glendronach Distillery". The business was to be carried on as John Duff and Co., with "one or two friends interested in the business... but the whole management devolves on him". These two partners were Alexander Grigor Allan, Procurator Fiscal of Moray-shire and a partner in the firm of Grigor & Young, solicitors, Elgin, and H. M. S. Mackay, burgh surveyor of Elgin and a land agent. The plan for the distillery was sketched out by John Duff inconjunction with an Elgin architect, A. Marshall Mackenzie. The Aberdeen Journal was favourably impressed by "the adaptation of the buildings to the natural rise and fall of the ground ... which will allow the work to be accomplished with a much smaller staff than in a place which has not the same facilities for bringing gravitation into operation". It noted "the abundance of excellent water to make the whisky and drive the machinery, thereby rendering the place independent of steam power". There was a fall of about 70 feet (21 metres) in the ground between the large dam and a water-wheel of 8 horse power.
Alfred Barnard described Glenlossie in The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom, 1887: "it stands at the foot of a fir-clad hill and consists of a double oblong range of buildings, and with the exception of the Distilling House (which is built of stone) is constructed entirely of cement which, under the sunlight as we descended the hill, looked beautifully white and clean." The cement had been made from sand and gravel carted from the River Lossie.
At the time of Alfred Barnard's visit, John Hopkins & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, blenders of Old Mull and Glengarry Scotch whiskies, were entirely responsible for the sale of the make, and Hopkins himself was a partner. Annual output was then 0 gallons (2,335 hectolitres).
John Duff & Co. was liquidated in 1896, after Allan's death and Duff's departure. It was reformed as The Glenlossie-Glenlivet Distillery Co. Ltd., and floated on a capitalisation of 0 Ordinary shares of £1 each and 0 Preference shares of £10 each. When these were offered for public subscription, applications were received for 12,620 Ordinary and for 23,266 Preference shares. H. M. S. Mackay, now the local agent for the North of Scotland Bank, for the Northern Assurance Co. and the Commercial Union, was the senior director. His co-directors were his nephew, J. H. Hair, who was to be managing director for many years, and A. M. Gregory, formerly of Glen Albyn Distillery, Inverness. Much of Mackay's time was devoted to public affairs, notably as vice-convenor of Moray County Council.

The Glenlossie-Glenlivet Co. was efficiently managed. The expense of carting incoming supplies and consignments of whisky between the distillery and Longmorn Station, on the railway line that then ran from Elgin to Perth via Grantown, ceased to be a burden when a private siding was built in 1896. New warehouses were built, and extension or improvements effected in almost every year up to 1917, when all malt whisky distilleries were closed, by Government order, in the interests of conserving barley for foodstuffs.
Glenlossie started up again in 1919, the year when Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., a subsidiary of The Distillers Company Limited, obtained a controlling interest in the Glenlivet-Glenlossie Co. That company was wound up in 1930, since when the distillery has been worked as a unit of SMD.
A severe outbreak of fire on 6 March 1929 caused damage to the extent of £0 and resulted in distillation ceasing for the rest of the season. In common with almost all malt whisky distilleries, Glenlossie closed down for the greater part of the second world war, once again on account of Government restrictions on the supply of barley for distillation.
As soon as building controls were relaxed, SMD began a programme for increasing distilling and storage capacity on the site of 25 acres (10 hectares). No. 3 warehouse was built in 1955, followed by a Group warehouse erected in three stages: in 1960, 1965 and 1975.Water ceased to be a source of power in 1919, followed by steam in 1960, when all plant in the distillery was converted to electricity. In the same year, the four hand-fired stills were converted to a mechanical stoker system. The stills were increased to six in 1962 and converted from coal-heating to steam heating from an oil-fired boiler in 1972.
A characteristic of the process carried out at Glenlossie is the installation of a purifier between the lyne arm and the condenser on each of the three spirit stills. This technique tends to increase the still's rectifying ability and has a bearing on the character of the spirit produced. It is not used at Mannochmore Distillery, which was built on part of the same site in 1971. Both distilleries use the same water supply - process water from the Bardon Burn, which has its sources in the Mannoch Hills, and cooling water from the Gedloch Burn and the Burn of Foths. Mannochmore is equipped with three wash stills and three spirit stills, heated by steam.
A plant for the production of dark grains, a high-protein animal feedingstuff, from the solid matter left over from the mashing and distillation processes, was built in 1969 and doubled in size when Mannochmore Distillery was built.
Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. owns 21 houses for occupation by employees at both distilleries. It also owns and manages Glenlossie Farm, Easterton Farm and Wardend Farm. They produce barley, turnips and beef cattle on a total area of about 500 acres (202 hectares).

Glenlossie Distillery houses a Shand Mason & Co. fire engine, made in 1862. It won a prize in the International Exhibition held at the Crystal Palace in that year. It was pulled by a pair of horses and could raise steam in about five minutes. This engine was last used to fight the fire of 1929.
Glenlossie and Mannochmore Distilleries are both owned by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., Elgin, a subsidiary of The Distillers Company Limited. SMD is responsible for the production and warehousing of malt whiskies for companies within the DCL Group and owns 45 distilleries, associated warehouses and makings thoughout Scotland.
John Haig & Co. Ltd., Markinch, Fife, proprietors of Haig Gold Label and Dimple Scotch whiskies, are the licensed distillers at both distilleries.

October 2005
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.

DIAGEO

April 2013

Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.

Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.

The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.

The work will begin in 2014.

Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.

There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.

Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.

And at Talisker a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.


Back to content | Back to main menu